Counterfeit products on social media have become incredibly pervasive, reportedly costing about $75 million a year to the cosmetics industry. We conducted a survey to find out more about consumers' buying habits and found that:
- 45% of consumers have purchased cosmetics via social media.
- Facebook and Instagram are the most popular social media platforms for buying cosmetics.
- Most consumers would buy an item from a 3rd party seller on social media if the product was offered at a discount rate.
- 19.5% of consumers have accidentally bought a fake cosmetics item.
- Many think it is the brand owner's responsibility to remove fake items from online platforms.